Friday, May 7, 2010

PRIVATIZED HEALTHCARE?

PUBLISHED IN THE GULF NEWS NEWSPAPER 31 MAY 2010 AS: HEALTHCARE DELIVERY MUST BE SIMPLIFIED

...
In 1983, I went away to work, like everyone else during the tough years. Newfoundland and Labrador had high unemployment, tough times in the fisheries, logging was not profitable, fuel prices for cars and heating oil were high, government was in deficit, the poor were getting poorer and big business was still paying little or no taxes due to “employing” people and keeping work in the province. However, even with all of that, healthcare was still available on a walk-in basis in my hometown and you could drink the water out of the tap.

In 2008, I retired from the Canadian military and could not wait to return to the Rock and resume my life in the “HAVE” province, under the leadership of Danny Williams, hero of the common Newfoundlander and Labradorian.

Things had changed in NL over the 25 years that I was away. We had high unemployment, tough times in the fisheries, logging was not profitable, fuel prices for cars and heating oil were high, government was in deficit, the poor were getting poorer and big business was still paying little or no taxes due to “employing” people and keeping work in the province, and we had oil. However, I was very dismayed to find that Healthcare was in ruins due to fighting between the Government and Nurses, and I could not access my doctor unless I had an appointment, which was normally 3 weeks down the road. To add to this, I could not confidently drink the tap water due to Boil Orders being frequently advised.

I began to wonder: Why are the people of this province believing that things are better then they were? In my view, from what I had witnessed in my travels, things in NL were worst than ever, except for the Avalon, things were booming there.

I had requested to give a presentation to the Department of Health and Community Services on how we could administer healthcare in rural communities that would not cost anymore than we were spending now. The Minister of Health rejected the presentation, even before it was given, stating that it was too simple. I fought and won another chance to give the presentation, however, it was cancelled the day before it was scheduled and at that same time, our Doctors were being ostracized for wanting a contract that was “over the top”, according to our Premier, who coincidentally does not use our healthcare.

If our healthcare is going to succeed, we need to simplify its delivery. A two-hour window should be open in every rural medical clinic to provide walk-in service. This will allow patients to see their doctor when they are sick, not 2-3 weeks afterwards. It would reduce wait times at Emergency Rooms due to fewer people being required to travel the highways when they could see their own doctor.

I believe people who are looking to make healthcare profitable, just as it is in the United States, are intentionally demolishing our healthcare system in order to Privatize Healthcare. A very high percentage of residents of NL would never qualify for Healthcare Insurance due to their health history. The only winners in this situation will be Insurance companies and government.

2 comments:

  1. If there is only 2-3 wks wait then they are doing good,try a 6-9 wk wait like i'm doing here in Ont and thats to see my family doctor.
    I waited 10 months to see the Heart doc....my point being it dosn't matter who's Premier of which provience....the health care is down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it looks as if we are all being lead down that path. Are we going to let them?

    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete