Friday, March 26, 2010

My Member of the House of Assembly (MHA)

MHA Terra Nova District,

It never fails to amaze me how the Conservatives can take such a well educated man and make him produce such utter nonsense in a document.

Walk-In Services has been an issue since the 4th of December 2010 when I originally submitted it to you in writing. There are still no proposed actions or even interest in this topic by your government, even though the people are in strong agreement with the need for Walk-in Times at Rural Medical Clinics.

Your Minister of Health and Community Services did, however, move the Air Ambulance out of St. Anthony to Goose Bay on a moments notice. How was the deficiency, solution, and funding initiative dreamed up for that knee-jerk Conservative idea? Coincidentally, this was just after he had instructed you and Tracy Shute to cancel my very worthwhile presentation.

Now you insult my Party, the NDP, who under Tommy Douglas started healthcare in Saskatchewan. Statements such as "Given the number of NDP members in the House of Assembly it is very unlikely that they will form government anytime soon and thus be never held to task on there suggestions" and "The NDP are fantastic at identifying deficiencies but are not the least bit interested in discussing how we implement and just as important, fund these initiatives" shows me your true side, one that I hoped I would never see, especially as the MHA for my district.

I'll identify a major deficiency and provide a solution to the problem: Jerome Kennedy should resign as Minister of Health and Community Services. I'll pay for the piece of paper he needs to write it on to make it official and that should take care of the funding initiative.

2011 my friend, 2011!!!



Subject: Re: Cancelled Presentation


Hi Robin,

Its safe to say that we have very different opinions and even easier to identify our different political ideologies.
There are always things that can be done to improve an existing system...however the way in which we arrive at those changes can be more problematic then identifying the initial issues themselves.
As Minister Kennedy pointed out in an earlier email, all correspondence that is received by his department is reviewed. Anything he can do to improve the Health Care system in this province, he will consider doing when possible and fiscally prudent.
This is where we differ the most in our political ideas. The NDP are fantastic at identifying deficiencies but are not the least bit interested in discussing how we implement and just as important, fund these initiatives. Given the number of NDP members in the House of Assembly it is very unlikely that they will form government anytime soon and thus be never held to task on there suggestions.
They are quick to criticize government when investments are made into the oil industry or new business attraction (Rolls-Royce for example) but they fail to realize...or simply are oblivious to the fact that in order to fund social programming...we as a province must create revenue. Revenue from our oil resources is hugely responsible for the unprecedented investment in Health Care, Education, Municipal Infrastructure, and Poverty Reduction....just to name a few. And while my government has invested heavily...there are limits. When these limits are not recognized we see the accumulation of debt. Another priority of our government is to rid ourselves of that as well. It certainly is a balancing act.
So to conclude, its very easy to identify issues however, it takes a responsible government to implement these changes in a sensible way. We can not simple implement such a change without investigating the numerous considerations, human resources and monetary concerns being two of the more important ones. Due diligence must be done...and to simplify this issue is completely irresponsible.
I promise your ideas will be given the same attention and consideration as any other ideas that are put forth. In my capacity as MHA I will do whatever I can to help the good folks of my wonderful district. I do realize though that I must work with my government, a government I am so extremely proud to be part of. I can hold my head high and stand on the record of this administration. I expect to see many more wonderful things on a go forward basis from our government and based on the overall satisfaction shown through public opinion polls by the people of this province, so are they.

All the best,


M.H.A. Terra Nova District
Government of Newfoundland & Labrador

Sent Via BlackBerry



Subject: Cancelled Presentation


MHA Terra Nova District,

As you can see by the media response and the public comments in the following CBC newsletter, there is a great support for Walk-In Clinics in Rural NL.

Too bad that same support was lost on the Health Minister and Department Staff.

From here on, I will channel my solutions to problems being experienced in the District of Terra Nova and Rural NL through alternate voices. I gave you first crack at putting our people first but unfortunately you thought I was playing political games, or you were mislead by your Party. I now see that not only are the good people of Newfoundland and Labrador being mislead, even the back benchers have no say in what the Williams government does.

I only wish it could have been different.

Still a friend...


Robin Brentnall

No comments:

Post a Comment